Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Polar Bear Run!  (Read 17666 times)

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Polar Bear Run!
« on: December 13, 2010, 12:07:07 pm »
I received the following form George Forster of the Georgia Triumph Association:

When:
Saturday, Jan 8, 2011

Where:
We'll meet at the Tanger Outlet Mall in Locust Grove - that's exit 212 on I-75. Be on site by 9:00 AM.

Description:
Hello Polar Bears!

Once again, it's time for the Annual Georgia Polar Bear Run.

Christmas is on the last Saturday of 2010, so we're moving the event 2 weeks back for another Elvis's Birthday Polar Bear Run. Be sure to dress accordingly!

On January 8, 2011, we'll be traveling to the new National Infantry Museum at Fort Benning in Columbus, GA. The museum opened in the summer of 2009, and it's really impressive. Aside from the museum's exhibits, there's an rifle range simulator, just like our troops use in training, and an IMAX theater. The museum also features a full-service restaurant and bar, where we'll have lunch. Check out the museum's web site for more information: http://www.nationalinfantrymuseum.com.

Entrance to museum is free, but donations are requested. There are charges for the rifle range and IMAX - discounts will be provided to Polar Bear participants.

As a bonus, we expect to be joined by a number of friends from Alabama. It should be quite a day.

We'll meet at the Tanger Outlet Mall in Locust Grove - that's exit 212 on I-75. Be on site by 9:00 AM so that we can get off to a good start. As always, we'll make sure that directions are provided for an easy trip.

If anyone wants to spend the night in Columbus for a Sunday drive back home, we are recommending 2 hotels in the area: the Marriott in the historic district of Columbus has a $99 advance-reservation rate. They're right in the heart of town, with access to restaurants, shopping, and the Riverwalk area. Also, the Hampton Inn in North Columbus (not the Airport Hampton), is recommended. The Hampton offers a free breakfast and a little lower rate than the Marriott, but with out the nearby attractions.

Please ask if you have any questions, and stay tuned for updates to the event. Feel free to forward the
attached flier and information to anyone that you think will be interested. Be sure to include as much information that you can in your club's newsletter. I look forward to seeing all of you on January 8!!

All the best,
George Forster
Polar Bear At Large
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Polar Bear Run!
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 12:10:35 pm »
For those of you not familiar with the Polar Bear Run, this is a very fun event. You'll get to see and drive with sports cars and classic cars of all kinds. The event route will be back roads with interesting sights along the way. There is always a theme to the event. For example, the theme a couple of years ago was "covered bridges", and we got to drive through three of them along the route.
Edit: Since this falls on the day we would normally have our club meeting, I recommend that we either move the meeting to the 15th, or all come to the run and hold our meeting there.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 12:16:03 pm by TopNotch »

88_4mula

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 05:55:22 pm »
Just got back. I got to drive one of Charles's extra Fieros.  Did real well, I have not drove a manual transmission in 10 years.
Only stalled it once...backing out of my up hill driveway.anyway...

The Polar Bear Run has a great turnout every year.
We need to do a Coop event with them. Maybe even the Run For The Hills.
With all the sports cars that show up it would be a hoot.
Lotus, Corvette, Triumph, Austin, Opel, Morgan, Mini, Citroen and Fiero...
They must have connections in a lot of other car clubs.
We need to get with them and talk.
What ya think?

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 07:20:58 pm »
Charlie and I had lunch with Kim, former head of the Kappa club. She said that they have disbanded. So we talked about them joining our club. Both cars (Solstice and Fiero) are orphaned Pontiac sports cars, so they would "fit" together. What do you think?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 10:15:41 am »
Here are a few of my pics from the Polar Bear Run.  During the drivers meeting, they said that had counted over 60 cars.  There may have been others who joined or weren't driving sports or classic cars. 

The cars are beginning to roll in.

Old school and high performance.

They just keep coming.

A pair of Hillmans.

To me, this was the most interesting car.  I passed him on the way home as he was exiting at the Stone Mountain Freeway.  Little thing was running along about 65 mph, too.

The hardiest folks in the group were the ones who made the run in this.

You can tell by the clothing that it wasn't warm.

Two of a number of Morgans.  A newer version to the left and an older model to the right.

Even had a few Fieros.

Fiero's Big Brother showed up, too.  Kevin got a close up look at the rear end.  Ask him about it.

The entrance to the museum.

Some of the participants dining in the restaurant inside the museum.

There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 06:37:43 pm »
Here are a few more pictures:

This is the back of the interesting car fierofool mentioned above.

I liked this one:

Here is the museum we went to see. This was a difficult shot with the sun in my face.

This car is a Citroen. These are made of aluminum and have an all hydraulic suspension system. I had a friend who had one, and it smelled of brake fluid from the constantly leaking suspension.

Fiero GTB

• I don't drive much, but when I do I drive my Fiero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 10:45:01 pm »
On one hand, my first concern was "diluting" the Fiero identity we have, but welcoming them in might also bring us a fresh new pool of people to help run the club, plan events, etc.; a problem every club (automotive or not) in which I've ever been involved, has faced.

I'm still pondering...

Tim

Charlie and I had lunch with Kim, former head of the Kappa club. She said that they have disbanded. So we talked about them joining our club. Both cars (Solstice and Fiero) are orphaned Pontiac sports cars, so they would "fit" together. What do you think?

Every time my GPS says, "Your ETA is...,"
   I hear, "Your Time to Beat is..."

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 10:33:38 am »
It was a beautiful, sunny day for the run. And just two days later....

cogcaviz24

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 11:29:23 am »
here's mine around 5am. My dog needed to go out, and had to call my boss...no work of course

88_4mula

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 03:38:51 pm »
Collectively the two cars would make a great New and Improved club.
Pontiac Sports Cars of Georgia <PSCG> or something there in.
And maybe the new members would be willing to come to meetings, go on outings, pay dues, or even volunteer to hold a office or board member......

« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 03:40:23 pm by 88_4mula »

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 09:17:36 pm »
We're getting off subject of the Polar Bear Run.  I think this discussion deserves a thread of its own in Club News.  Pat, want to start one with a poll attached?
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

cogcaviz24

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 10:26:13 pm »
sorry for the thread jack, carry on