Author Topic: 3.4 pushrod for sale - Please Read  (Read 212 times)

YoungGun84

• View Profile
3.4 pushrod for sale - Please Read
« on: March 19, 2016, 06:50:07 PM »
Hi Guys,

New to the club here. Here's what I've recently acquired. 1988 GT with 3.4 pushrod installed by Ashby Arnette around 4-5 years ago.  am told that the motor has around 500 miles on it. Not sure if it was a crate motor or rebuilt. Original top end was used. Car has been sitting util recently when i picked it up, tuned it up , changed fluids etc.. all the things to bring a car back to life.

Engine ran but seemed to be misfiring on at least one cylinder, seems to get worse when going into closed loop.

Ive taken off top two intakes and found coolant in one intake. Also was unsure about fuel injectors so I sent them into Fuel Injector Connection to have rebuilt / cleaned. Going to run compression test today but might as well go ahead and pull the heads to replace gasket while im at it.

I had plans to get this engine in tip top shape and move onto other items with the car. Ive now decided to go ahead and start working on a 3800sc swap.

Therefore, I will not need this current engine. I have options.

Pull engine as is to sell.
Put engine back together to sell.
Put engine back together and drive while I build 3800.

Option 1 and 2, I could pull myself or have buyer give a hand or pull themselves.

Option 3 - I would need to find a fiero cradle to start building on. So if youre reading this and know of one, please let me know.

If you have anything at all that would help me, or If i have anything that could help you, please let me know.

Anything that I dont need to keep for the swap is potentially available.  I am open to trades. This is my first foray with Fieros and engine swaps in general so I dont have a firm plan. Ill just see what comes along and Id love to meet some members while doing it.

Thanks for reading.
Colby

PM and I can send over my phone number if easier to chat that way

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
Re: 3.4 pushrod for sale - Please Read
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 07:42:04 PM »
Hmmm... I think I saw that ad. If I'm right, the car came from Covington. I was considering it.
Sorry that you're having issues.

Here are my thoughts...
Pulling it as-is to sell... you're not going to get much for what is, essentially, a "core" engine.
If it's just a head gasket, it's a pain in the azz, but it's not "uncharted" territory. I bought a new/rebuilt 3.4 from Grooms, that blew a head gasket due to a broken head bolt. Stuff happens. Fortunately, they warrantied it.
If you go to the trouble of fixing it, I would keep it and build your 3800, according to your own time frame.

Edit - If you have an air compressor, I would try pressurizing the cylinders with compressed air. If you already have a compression gauge, you can take the spark plug fitting, and screw it into an air hose fitting that will snap into your air hose. (I've done this. It works. It's how I found my blown head gasket.)
Remove the thermostat cap and thermostat, and pressurize all the cylinders, one at a time. If one of them is leaking into the cooling system, you'll get bubbles out of the thermostat housing. Also check your oil, and make sure that none of the coolant is leaking into the engine. (The oil on the dipstick, and elsewhere, will look like a mocha mikshake. If it's already that far along, there's a chance that it's damaged your main and rod bearings.)
With that said, I'm really surprised that you're getting coolant into the intake. That's not usually how it works, but it's not unheard of. Coolant would have to leak into the cylinder, and go backwards, up through the intake valve.

Check your Private Messages.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 07:59:14 PM by Raydar »

f85gtron

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 09:02:18 PM »
If the lower intake manifold gaskets are jacked up, coolant could get into the air side or the oil side right?  Could just be that?
85 GT manual NOW powered by 7730

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 09:58:10 PM »
If the lower intake manifold gaskets are jacked up, coolant could get into the air side or the oil side right?  Could just be that?

DOH! You're exactly right!
Thanks. Had my head up... in a dark place.

f85gtron

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 09:43:02 AM »
Colby,
I'd be interested to see what you find in the oil and pics. Sounds like the motor would still need gone through as a precaution, pulling a main and a rod for inspection. Does anybody know the history of this motor?  Cam?
I'm asking because I'm about to build one up that I have here, but it would be nice to get a jump start on it!

YoungGun84

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 09:14:13 PM »
Thanks for the input guys.. I pulled spark plugs and the three on the front side of the car were rusty. Back three looked fine.
Compression tool hooked up showed much higher compression on back side as well. Im down to the LIM so Ill pull it and take a peek.

I dont think anything extra was done besides the 3.4 block. Looks like stock injectors and stock top end. I was considering port polishing / matching / gasket matching to open it up a bit. I've decided too just find any bad gaskets and put it back together with like new injectors from fuel injection connection.

Found a 3800 with low miles and high lift cams going to check out soon.  Ill decide what I plan on doing and maybe move this thread over to the right place. I guess I should just start a project / build thread.

YoungGun84

• View Profile

f85gtron

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2016, 04:09:27 AM »
Colby,
Which timing cover is on it?  I'm looking for the 87-88 style cover. Is the harmonic balancer in good shape?  I'd be interested in those parts.