Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Run For The Hills 17 Scouting Run (s)  (Read 60298 times)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Run For The Hills 17 Scouting Run (s)
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2012, 08:49:52 am »
The roads were good, except for that one out the back of Fontana Village.  and Fontana Village itself was a madhouse.  They were having a Nissan convention and every place was covered with Nissans with soup cans hung under the rear. 

This was the first place we got separated from Tim and Roger.  Things progressed well until we had lunch in Robbinsville and headed for the Cherohala Skyway.  Someway or other we got separated from Tim and Roger in the FiHero and Scott P. in his Cadillac.  Yep, Cadillac, like in big 4-door sedan, and he kept up with us for the most part.  See, everyone, I told you we would take it easy. 

Anyway, with other vehicles getting into our group, someway we got separated from the Highway Rescue Vehicle and the Cadillac.  By the time we realized it and I went back to try to find them they were long gone.  I don't know what type cell phones those folks up there use, but none of us had phone signals anywhere in that part of the state. 

So, when I got back to the Fiero group, we continued, hoping the separated parties would find their way back home.  First time I got a call from them, Pat and I were almost back down to Blue Ridge, Ga. with Greg, Chris, Sharon and Colin having split at Telico Plains to tackle The Dragon from the north end, and Harry and Karin had turned back East toward home just before we got down to Ducktown and Copperhill.  At that time, Tim, Roger and Scott were about 14 miles North of Franklin, returning via the route we had taken to get up there.

Sounds like all of us got caught in that big thunder shower that moved across that region, except maybe for the NC folks. There were a couple of times I thought I heard some small hail hitting the car.  Got home a little after 9.  I think Pat and I may have been the first to get home since everyone else had much further to go. 

Thanks to all who came along.  I'd be interested in hearing your honest comments about the roads and everything we saw.  I promise that the next scouting run will only involve 4 roads and the day should go much smoother. 

There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2012, 09:22:17 am »
I think Pat and I may have been the first to get home since everyone else had much further to go. 

Actually, we stopped to eat, and got home about the same time as you.

BTW, the roads were all good, except the bumpy one after Fontana. That one tested the shocks and body tightness (looseness?).
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

CowsPatoot

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2012, 02:25:18 pm »
All the roads were wonderful except that one already mentioned out of Fontana.  That one pointed out squeaks and rattles that I didn't know the convertible had, and constantly reminded me about all the ones I did know about.  Plus, all of us on the test run had mostly stock suspensions...I would hate to see what a lowered and stiffened suspension would do on there.

Remember when I mentioned that I ordered some good weather?  Sorry, forgot to include a bit for your trip home.  We were dry all the way home.

Sharon took 538 pictures...and a couple of them actually turned out OK.

I tried to get the action shot of Charlie, but couldn't get far enough from the road to do it right.  Darn cliffs.  This is where we started on the Cherohala Skyway.  Beautiful scenery...wonderful road...but those darn motorcycles kept getting in the way.

After we separated from the group, we headed for Tail Of The Dragon...

Then we made a mad dash for home...

and left the day behind us...

Fiero GTB

• I don't drive much, but when I do I drive my Fiero
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2012, 03:50:56 pm »
Wowie, Sharon, some excellent shots and angles!!!

Great driving, CowsPatoot - wouldn't have had that great blurry scenery without your skills!

FGTB

Every time my GPS says, "Your ETA is...,"
   I hear, "Your Time to Beat is..."

Roger

• Paid Members
  • If it’s the thought that counts, think money.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2012, 06:43:26 pm »
 ;D
Yep! Great photos and thank you.

Scott, Tim and I would have been there to enjoy it with you if I hadn't got us lost.
One of these days I'll learn to read FieroFools directions.

Can I get a Homer DOH!?
You can't fix stupid but, you can adjust it with a 2x4.

Spartanzz

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2012, 12:31:28 am »
*sigh* seeing these pics make me very disappointed that i wasn't able to go...

Fiero GTB

• I don't drive much, but when I do I drive my Fiero
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2012, 01:32:20 pm »
MORE PHOTOS FROM THE MAY 19 RFTH SCOUTING TRIP

Funny, none of the backgrounds seem to be blurred in my photos vs. Sharon's... but I guess it's hard to get that effect at only 20 MPH...   ::)

FGTB

When we pull out, I'll be heading down this way at about 200 MPH.....

....which is what I meant when I said, "I'll be taking it easy on this scouting run..."

Now that's gratitude for you.  That darn bear said he didn't need no stinkin' Charmin.

Tree of Shame.  A collection of parts of motorcycles The Dragon has consumed.

Did you ever notice there aren't any Fiero parts in that tree?

Does this mean Inside or Outside?

Spillway at Fontana Dam

Floodgates

Nice Rides.  Just a small portion of what was at Fontana Village.

I wonder if he's got one of Whodeanie's 3800SC's under that hood?

« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 09:07:05 pm by Fiero GTB »
Every time my GPS says, "Your ETA is...,"
   I hear, "Your Time to Beat is..."

CowsPatoot

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2012, 03:12:33 pm »
I had to track down Colin and steal his memory card...but here are his pics.

For some reason, he thought this was the only car worth taking an individual picture of.

Donster

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2012, 03:52:56 pm »
The car in the last pic looks very familiar.

\D
Life is good!

CowsPatoot

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2012, 04:33:51 am »
Thought I would toss this pic up too...

The full pic is 27 megapixel after blending it together.  When I was taking the pic, I would have chosen not to have Pat's grandson in the shot...but after finishing it, I think he is what really makes the pic interesting.  Clicking on the pic will take you to the full size image.

redraif

• View Profile
    • Indy SE #770 "Stormtrooper Edition"
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2012, 12:57:37 pm »
Wish we could have gone... sounds like you guys had fun!  But with the mustang's emissions still in limbo and my Fiero's suspension still in process...  Here's hoping I might be able to do the real event!
1984 Modified Indy Fiero SE #770 "StormTrooper Edition"

Drag DR-34s
Frt: 225/45, 18x8, 39 offset , 84 WS6 springs -1.5 coils
Rear: 265/35, 18x8.5, 45 offset,  Coil-overs:  10 inch 300lb springs & 7 inch sleeve

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2012, 09:59:34 am »
The next scouting runs have been scheduled for June 23 and July 7. 

For the June 23 trip, as is our custom, we will meet up at the QT station in Oakwood/Gainesville.  It's I-985 Exit 16 which is the Oakwood, Mundy Mill Road, Hwy. 53 exit.  Be ready to pull out by 9am. 

To help with your schedule planning, estimated time to get to Oakwood is approximately:

1 1/2 Hour from Douglasville
1 3/4 Hour from Newnan
1 1/4 Hour from Marietta
1 1/2 Hour from Stockbridge
1 1/4 Hour from Monroe via 81 and 53
1 1/4 Hour from Athens via 129, 85 South and 53
1 1/2 Hour from Canton via 20, 369 and 53

These are estimated times from Town Center to Town Center of the listed cities. 

If you would like to meet us at another location, we'll be traveling between Toccoa and Clarkesville at about 9:30, Clayton, Ga. at about 10 and Franklin, NC at about 11.  Let us know so we can adjust our schedule to hook up. 

We probably will be traveling on The Dragon on this scouting trip. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

CowsPatoot

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2012, 08:21:17 pm »
Bump.

If the good weather I ordered is delivered on time, the vert will be there on the 23rd.  Otherwise, I might show up in Colin's passenger seat.

For the 7th...i will have to see what my work schedule looks like.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2012, 08:46:58 pm »
This weekend is scouting run number 2.  Check out the hook up points in my last post and be there.

The weather CowsPatoot ordered will be delivered on time so the curves won't be the only thing with 90 degrees. 

Unfortunately the FiHero will not be able to be there this time, so be sure your vehicle is in good condition and bring your radios.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 08:54:21 pm by Fierofool »

Spartanzz

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2012, 12:46:22 am »
once again due to my work schedule i will not be able to go...But, the 3800SC is very close to being ready to swap in. I say next scout run you guys go on ill have the new engine and will be able to go and learn the road and new setup. Or ill try to make a trip out there myself before the next scouting run :)